UWM alumni can visit the Career Development Center without an appointment during Express Lane hours for the following:
- Resume, cover letter and graduate school application reviews
- Brief job search and interview-related questions
- Beginning to intermediate career planning steps
Express Lane sessions are usually 10-15 minutes in length.
Express Lane Hours are as follows (as of 12/08) in Mellencamp Hall 128:
- Mondays: 4:00-5:45 p.m.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays: 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Fridays: 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
For more in-depth consultation on a resume or job search-related issue, alumni can also schedule a 50-minute appointment by calling 414-229-4487.Interview Assistance
To practice for an upcoming job or graduate school interview, alumni can schedule a mock interview with the alumni career counselor. Topics include:
- Talking about gaps in work history
- Describing yourself and your strengths effectively
- Interview etiquette
- Marketing the relevance of your current experience to a new field
- Preparing for different kinds of interviews
Mock interviews last about 50 minutes and usually involve practicing typical or challenging interview questions with the career counselor and reviewing the experience for ways to improve. While having an actual interview to prepare for can give a mock interview more specificity, alumni need not have an upcoming interview in order to schedule a mock interview if they are seeking general interview practice.
To schedule a mock interview, contact the Career Development Center at 414-229-4487.
The Career Development Center holds regular free workshops on “Improving Your Interviewing IQ.”
For online resume and interview help, visit the Job Search Preparation page of the Career Development Center Web Site.