ExploreFreshman (0-23 credits)Welcome to the Lubar School of Business! Use this handy checklist to guide your way through UWM. Take advantage of your freshman year to explore all that the Lubar School has to offer. Utilizing Undergraduate Student Services and the Career Services Center is the key to your success!
The following should be completed by the end of your freshman year.
Meet with your Academic Advisor for a Focus On Freshman (FOF) appointment Lubar Hall N297, (414) 229-5271
- In the meeting, we will discuss:
- Your scorecard and your intended major.
- Admission to major and Lubar School Requirements.
- Registration for Spring semester.
- During your advising appointment, we will review:
- Important dates and deadlines.
- General education requirements (GER’s).
- Schedule of classes: uwm.edu/schedule.
- Other important registration information.
- In the meeting we will discuss:
- What interests you about business?
- Different business careers and majors.
- Your strengths/weaknesses.
- Development of transferrable skills such as communication, teamwork, and leadership.
Explore interests, values and skills
- Attend Major Information Sessions (watch your e-mail and for signs with dates/times).
- Talk with family, friends, or others about careers in business.
- Seek out faculty and staff who can act as a positive reference or professional resource for you.
- Consider enrolling in ED PSY 101 Foundations of Academic Success.
- Accept personal responsibility for your own progress. View the Lubar Black and Gold Commitment Document: lubar.uwm.edu/ethicalcode.
- Visit Panther Academic Support Services (PASS) for tutoring help and supplemental instruction courses: uwm.edu/pass.
- Investigate business scholars lubar.uwm.edu/scholars.
Sign up for career resources with the help of your Career Advisor
- PantherJOBS—UWM’s online system for job postings.
- Career Insider—Online career library.
Attend Career Services Center sponsored events
- Workshops (Resume, Interviewing, etc.).
- Employer Panel, “How to Make an Impression at a Career Fair.”
- Gather information about potential careers at the Business Career Fair in February.
Prepare initial professional items
- Cover letter.
- Reference page.
- Begin purchases of professional wardrobe.
Explore and obtain experiences to begin the resume building process
- Find a part-time job or volunteer work to gain marketable experiences for internships.
- Attend a student organization meeting and become a member. Review a list of Lubar Business Student Organizations at lubar.uwm.edu/studentorgs.
- Learn about Study Abroad opportunities: studyabroad.uwm.edu.
Monitor your PAWS account weekly and pantherLINK e-mail daily
- View your Priority Advising Enrollment Appointment.
- Generate and review your Academic Advisement Report in PAWS.
- For instructions on accessing your Advisement Report see advisement.uwm.edu.
- Watch for important e-mails from the Lubar School and UWM.
- Ensure your finances are in order: