Communication Sciences & Disorders
Mission & Goals
The mission of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders is to engage in the generation, dissemination, integration, and application of knowledge specific to evaluation of and intervention for speech, language, and hearing impairments. Members of the department conduct research that contributes to the knowledge base of the field, and provide high-quality educational programs that (1) prepare undergraduate students with a broad foundation in communication sciences and disorders, (2) prepare graduate students in speech-language pathology for professional practice, and (3) prepare students to continue their professional growth beyond their formal education. The department also provides clinical services to the Milwaukee community for a variety of communication disorders.
- To provide students with an appropriate theoretical and scientific base in communication sciences and disorders.
- To provide students with an understanding of individual and cultural variability as they relate to communication development and disorders.
- To develop oral and written communication skills that students will need to function effectively as professionals in communication sciences and disorders.
- To encourage students to participate in a variety of research and scholarly activities.
- To provide students with an understanding of other academic disciplines as they relate to and enhance the professions of speech-language pathology and audiology.
- To encourage students to view education and professional growth as ongoing processes.
- To prepare students to integrate and apply research theory and methodology to evaluation of and intervention for communication disorders with children and adults.
- To develop students' skills in applying knowledge of individual and cultural differences in clinical practice.
- To prepare students to appropriately counsel clients and significant others regarding communication development and disorders.
- To assist students in developing effective interpersonal skills for clinical practice and professional endeavors.
- To prepare students to engage in ethical and professional practices as delineated by professional organizations and licensing boards.