Health Informatics & Administration:
B.S. Health Care Administration
All students in the Health Care Administration (HCA) program must complete a faculty-supervised internship prior to graduation. Admission decisions for the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Health Care Administration are made by the Program Director, based on validation of prerequisites by the academic advisor for the HCA program. Students are notified of admission to the major at the start of the fall or spring semester, and students are expected to attend the next HCA Program Orientation when scheduled. Internship requirements are reviewed during the HCA orientation session, and included in the HCA Undergraduate Handbook as well as the HCA Internship Program Manual.
The internship is an integral component of the Health Care Administration (HCA) major, and the senior internship course is required for all HCA students. Under the supervision of faculty/staff in collaboration with a preceptor, students are given opportunities to develop and improve management skills through fieldwork experiences in local, national, and international health care organizations approved by the internship coordinator and other entities as required. Students must be admitted to the major and complete the internship application form by October 1 for the spring semester and March 1 for the fall semester. Prior to the internship, students must complete a background check.
Contact the HCA internship coordinator if a summer internship is required to graduate on time, and submit the application form by March 1. All other eligibility requirements must be met.
Eligibility for the required senior internship is dependent upon:
- Submission of a completed internship application by October 1 for the following Spring semester, or March 1 for the following Fall semester. Summer internships may also be approved by the internship coordinator if required to graduate on time, if eligibility criteria are met and a completed application is submitted by March 1. Internship application materials are available from Professor Kathleen Olewinski at email@example.com, in Northwest Quadrant Building B, Room 6432.
- Senior status in the HCA program.
- Adherence to all professional behavior standards.
- Completion of a background check.
Health screening requirements must also be met for specific sites prior to placement consideration. Physical and health screening forms are provided during the HCA Program Orientation, and available through the HCA Internship Coordinator, Professor Kathleen Olewinski, at firstname.lastname@example.org and in Northwest Quadrant Building B, Room 6432.
HCA Internship Application forms can be accessed online through a link provided by the Internship Coordinator for the HCA program, Professor Kathleen Olewinski, at email@example.com or can be obtained by the HCA Internship Coordinator in the Northwest Quadrant Building B, Room 6432, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, PO Box 413, Milwaukee, WI 53201.
Students may take up to three, 3-credit internships before they graduate.
Non-credit and experiential internships may also be available through the UWM Career Development Center. The Career Development Center offers walk-in career advising as well as information regarding jobs, career fairs, and resources for students and alumni. Search PantherJobs for jobs and internships in all fields.
Career Development Center Brochure
Includes a "college to career planning guide," information about job boards, services offered by the CDC, and other ways to plan your career development.
UWM Writing Center
The Writing Center welcomes all UWM writers to meet one-on-one, confidentially, with a highly qualified tutor to discuss any writing project, and at any stage of the work. All majors, subjects and skill levels are welcome. Appointments or walk-ins accepted, in-person or online
Partial listing of current and past Internship placement sites
- AseraCare Hospice
- Aurora Health Care
- Aurora Health Care Credentials Verification Service
- Aurora Medical Group
- Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center
- Aurora Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center
- Aurora Sinai Medical Center
- Aurora West Allis Memorial Medical Center
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin
- Children’s Hospital and Health System
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
- City of Milwaukee Health Department
- Columbia St. Mary's, Inc.
- Columbia St. Mary’s Foundation
- Columbia St. Mary’s Hospitals
- Community Care for the Elderly
- Community Health Internship Program (CHIP)
- Community Memorial Hospital
- Compassionate Care Hospice
- Curative Care Network
- Dynacare Laboratories
- Elmbrook Memorial Hospital
- Flagship SailsRx
- Froedtert Health
- Froedtert Hospital
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Community Physicians
- GE Healthcare
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Center for Independence
- Milwaukee VA Medical Center
- Northwestern Mutual
- ProHealth Care
- ProHealth Home Care & Hospice
- Saint John’s On The Lake
- Sheboygan Progressive Care Center
- Watertown Regional Medical Center
- Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare
- Wheaton Franciscan Medical Group
- Wisconsin Heart Hospital