Occupational Science & Technology
Therapeutic Recreation Certificate
According to the US Department of Labor, "Employment of recreational therapists is expected to increase 15 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations. Job growth will stem from the therapy needs of the aging population." Given the projected need for recreation specialists, the College of Health Sciences at UW-Milwaukee has created a certificate program in Therapeutic Recreation (TR) available to a broad range of individuals including students, and TR and other human service professionals in the community. In addition, individuals who are certified with the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) may wish to complete certificate coursework to comply with continuing education requirements.
The on-line certificate focuses on the development of knowledge and acquisition of skills and abilities in the areas of health and TR. In preparation for the nationally recognized certification examination, coursework covers topic areas included in the NCTRC Job Analysis categories. Courses present the concepts of health, wellness, disease and illness in relation to quality of life for individuals with disabilities. Specific skill development in the areas of assessment and facilitation techniques is also taught and complemented with an ongoing focus on emerging issues in the field of therapeutic recreation.
The following five courses are required to successfully complete a Certificate in Therapeutic Recreation:
|Course Number||Course Name||Credits|
|TherRec 203||Recreation as a Therapeutic Intervention||3 cr|
|TherRec 300||Therapeutic Recreation Assessment and Documentation||4 cr|
|TherRec 308||Therapeutic Recreation in Physical Rehabilitation and Behavioral Health||4 cr|
|TherRec 310||Facilitation Techniques in Therapeutic Recreation||4 cr|
|TherRec 400||Therapeutic Recreation Trends||3 cr|
|Total 18 credits|
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 must be maintained on all the required coursework.
- Recommended sequence of coursework completion is listed above.
- All courses are taught online. There is a flat fee for each course: 3 credits = approximately $980, 4 credits = approximately $1308.
- Completion of this certificate program allows the individual to meet one portion of the academic coursework required for the credential as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist with NCTRC. Additional requirements are needed to fully qualify for the credential.
- Students interested in additional information on NCTRC, or in obtaining NCTRC certification are encouraged to visit the NCTRC website at www.nctrc.org.
- Please see the TR Certificate FAQ for more information.
Students interested in pursuing a career in Therapeutic Recreation may wish to examine one of the various degree programs at UWM.
Degree programs include:
Bachelor of Art
Bachelor of Science
- Biological Sciences
- Social Work
Application for Enrollment
For questions related to the Therapeutic Recreation Certificate and/or the TR profession, please contact Patricia Thomas at (414) 229-2507 or email@example.com.
For information on how to apply to the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, please contact Aggie Northrup at (414) 229-2758 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This certificate program is subject to federal gainful employment regulations. For more information please visit http://www4.uwm.edu/financialaid/EligConsInfo/gainfulemployment.cfm