Doctoral Program: Ph.D. Health Sciences
To be considered for admission to the program applicants must satisfy all UWM Graduate School admission requirements in addition to the following College of Health Sciences requirements:
- Submission of scores on the General Test portion of the Graduate Record Examination; test taken within last five years.
- Master's degree or equivalent in an area that provides foundational academic preparation in proposed Health Sciences Ph.D. "Area of Concentration".
- A sample of the applicant's written work that demonstrates his or her ability to conduct research and/or the ability to critically analyze the scholarly work of others.
- A letter outlining the applicant's academic and professional background, declaration of Area of Concentration and Major Professor as well as specific research interests and goals for the Ph.D. program. This statement should be submitted to the Graduate School and must be complete and thorough as it provides information that is central to the admission decision. This letter will serve in lieu of the Graduate School 's "Reasons for Graduate Study" statement.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's intellectual achievement and potential. At least two of these letters must be from faculty or senior administrators at academic institutions.
For applicants from countries other than the U.S.A. whose first language is not English, a score of at least 250 on the computer-based (or 600 on the paper-based) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. A score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) examination will be accepted in lieu of the TOEFL.
The PhD Steering Committee will make an admission recommendation and forward it to the appropriate College of Health Sciences departmental Graduate Faculty or Executive Committee and identified Major Professor. The final admission decision is contingent upon approval by the departmental Graduate Faculty Committee or Executive Committee, the applicant's Major Professor, and the Graduate School.
Prior to admission an eligible College of Health Sciences Graduate Faculty member must agree to serve as the applicant's major professor.
A student who has received a master's degree in Biomedical Sciences, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Kinesiology, or Occupational Therapy from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee must formally reapply for admission to the Graduate School before continuing studies toward the Ph.D. degree.