Chukuka S. Enwemeka, Ph.D. FACSM
Dean and Distinguished Professor
Office of the Dean
- Laser Phototherapy
- Photobiology and Photomedicine
- Connective Tissue Pathobiology
- Photoengineering of Tissue Repair,
Including Diabetic Ulcer Repair
- Therapeutic Ultrasound Biology
Phone: (414) 229-4712
Fax: (414) 229-2206
- Ph.D., Pathokinesiology, New York University, 1985
- M.S., Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, 1983
- B.Sc., Physical Therapy, University of Ibadan, 1978
Interests & Expertise
- Photoengineering of Tissue Repair Processes
Dr. Enwemeka is interested in the use visible and near infrared light, emitted by lasers and other monochromatic light sources, to stimulate tissue repair in experimental animal models of soft tissue injury and clinical cases of chronic ulcers that failed to respond to other forms of treatment. He has successfully treated diabetic ulcers in an experimental animal model and shown that human cases of chronic slow- or non-healing diabetic and venous ulcers respond positively to a combination of red and near infrared laser phototherapy.
- Photo-eradication of Bacteria and Other Pathogens with Blue Light
Dr. Enwemeka and his team have shown that certain wavelengths of blue light are highly effective in killing deadly bacteria. These wavelengths of light are viable alternatives to treatment with chemical agents, such as antibiotics. In recent studies, they demonstrated that one dose irradiation of the deadly Methycillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) with any of two wavelengths of blue light killed as much as 92% of two genetically differing strains of the bacteria. He and his team are working to advance this line of work by developing technologies that foster photo-eradication of MRSA in places that harbor the bacteria.
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Professor, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2012
- Chairperson, National Advisory Board on Medical Rehabilitation Research, NIH, Bethesda, MD (Appointed Board Member in July, 1998; Elected Chairperson in May 2000).
- President, World Association for Laser Therapy, 1998 - 2000.
- Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM) since May, 1991.
- Fellow of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery since July, 2008.
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, The Official Journal of the International Society for Laser Surgery and Medicine and The World Association for Laser Therapy, June 2004 to date.
- Editor-in-Chief, Laser Therapy, The Official Journal of the World Association for Laser Therapy, May 1994 to January 2004.
- North America Regional Editor, Laser Therapy, July 1991 to April 1994.
- Member, Phi Beta Delta, Honor Society for International Scholars since 1993.
- Member, Who is Who in Science and Engineering, 1991.
- Investigator Research Award, University of Kansas Medical Center, 1996.
- Member, Board of Directors, Black Health Care Coalition, Kansas City, MO, 1995 to 2003.
- Member, Advisor Panel on Research, American Physical Therapy Association, 1993-1997.
Fulop, A. M., Dhimmer, S., Deluca, J. R., Johanson, D. D., Lenz, R. V., Patel, K. B., Douris, P. C., & Enwemeka, C. S. (2010). A Meta-analysis of the Efficacy of Laser Phototherapy on Pain Relief. Clinical Journal of Pain, 26(8), 729-736.
Enwemeka, C. S., Williams, D., Enwemeka, S. K., Hollosi, S., & Yens, D. (2010). Blue Light Phototherapy Kills Methycillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. In L. Longo (Ed.), Proceedings of Laser Florence 2009: Vol. 1226 (pp. 117-121). Published By the American Institute of Physics.
Fulop, A. M., Dhimmer, S., Deluca, J. R., Johanson, D. D., Lenz, R. V., Patel, K. B., Douris, P. C., & Enwemeka, C. S. (2009). A meta-analysis of the efficacy of phototherapy in tissue repair. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, 27(5), 695-702.
Caetano, K. S., Minatel, D. G., Santana, L. A., Enwemeka, C. S., & Cipriani Frade, M. A. (2009). Efficacy of Phototherapy Associated with Silver Sulphadiazine in the Treatment of Chronic Venous Ulcers. Physiotherapy Brazil, 10(6), 388-394.
Enwemeka, C. S. (2009). Intricacies of dose in laser phototherapy for tissue repair and pain relief (Review Paper). Phototherapy and Laser Surgery, 27, 387-393.
Minatel, D. G., Frade, M. A. C., Franca. S., & Enwemeka, C. S. (2009, August). Phototherapy promotes healing of chronic diabetic leg ulcers that failed to respond to other therapies. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 41(6), 433-41.
Minatel, D. G., Enwemeka, C. S., França, S. C., & Frade, M. A. C. (2009). Phototherapy (LEDs 660/890 nm) in the treatment of leg ulcers in diabetic patients: Case study. Anals Brasileiros de Dermatologia, 84(3), 279-283.
Enwemeka, C. S., Williams, D., Enwemeka, S. K., Hollosi, S., & Yens, D. (2009, April), 470 nm blue light kills Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) In Vitro. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, 27, 221-226.
Caetano, K. S., Frade, M. A. C., Minatel, D. G., Santana, L. A., & Enwemeka, C.S . (2009, February). Phototherapy improves healing of chronic venous ulcers. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, 27, 111-118.
Enwemeka, C. S., Williams, D., Hollosi, S., Yens, D., & Enwemeka, S. K. (2008). Visible 405 nm SLD light photo-destroys Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) in vitro. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 40, 734-737.
Enwemeka, C. S., Parker, J. C., Dowdy, D. S., Harkness, E. E., Sanford, L. E., & Woodruff, L. D. (2004). The effect of laser phototherapy on tissue repair and pain control: A Meta-analysis of the literature. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, 22, 323-329.
Woodruff, L. D., Bounkeo, J. M., Brannon, W. M., Dawes, Jr., K. S., Barham, C. D., Waddell, D. L., & Enwemeka, C. S. (2004). The efficacy of laser therapy in wound repair: A Meta-analysis of the literature. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, 22, 241-247. (Corresponding Senior Author).
Timberlake, G. T., & Enwemeka, C. S. (2004). An inexpensive, automated instrument for laser irradiation of cultured cells. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, 22, 233-239.