Ann Dietrich, PT, M.S.
Clinical Associate Professor, Director of Clinical Education
Pavilion, Room 363
Phone: (414) 229-2822
Fax: (414) 229-3366
- M.S., Kinesiology, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2002
- B.S., Physical Therapy, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1982
- Physical Therapy Clinical Education Practices
- Healthcare Ethics
- Professional Identity Formation
- Regulations guiding the provision of service and reimbursement for services provided by Student Physical Therapists
Interests & Expertise
Professor Dietrich has been the Director of Clinical Education in the UWM Doctor of Physical Therapy Program since the program’s inception. As a founding member of the program’s faculty/staff she has been involved in many aspects of the program’s development including formation of the admission process, review of the curricular content and the development of the clinical education curriculum. This involvement in many aspects of the development of the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program has led to her interest in student transition from the didactic setting to the clinical setting. Her current research interest focuses on potential techniques and practices to ensure a smooth transition for students between these two settings.
Dietrich, A., Truebenbach, C., Alt, C., & Moerchen, V. (2013, March). Comprehensive Assessment of Doctor of Physical Therapy Students’ Readiness for Clinical Practice: A model of embedded assessment throughout the curriculum. Poster presented at Center for Instructional & Professional Development (CIPD), University of WI Milwaukee First Annual Assessment Showcase, Milwaukee, WI.
Dietrich, A. (2013, May). Invited moderator for discussion of small group/round table topics: Active Learning Strategies, Developing Clinical Objectives and Responding to Administration Concerns. Wisconsin Clinical Education Consortium Annual Conference. Milwaukee, WI.
Dietrich, A. (2012). Legal and Ethical Decision Making for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapy Assistants. Wisconsin CEU approved presentation
- Zablocki Veterans Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI.
- Aurora Healthcare, Milwaukee, WI.
- Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, Milwaukee, WI.
Dietrich, A., & Harrison, L., (2011) Clinical Instructor Conference, Blackhawk Technical College. Janesville, WI.
Dietrich, A. (2011, April). Optimizing Resources in the ever changing world of clinical education. Wisconsin Clinical Education Consortium Annual Conference. Madison, WI.
Dietrich, A., Ponda, N., & Shields, K. (2010, March). Collaborative Clinical Education Models: How to make them happen. Wisconsin Clinical Education Consortium annual conference, Milwaukee, WI.
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Performance & Service Award, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2012.
Wisconsin Physical Therapy Association, 1981 - present.
- Awards Committee, Chair, 2011 – present.
- UWM Liaison to Students 2011- 2013.
- WPTA poster session judge: 2012, 2010.
- Clinical Education Special Interest Group (formerly WCEC), 2006 – present.
- Nomination Committee, Chair, 2007 – present.
American Physical Therapy Association, 1981- present.
- Section Memberships
- Member of the Section on Health Policy and Administration.
- Member of the Section on Education.
- Work group for revision of Generic Abilities Document into the Professional Behaviors Document, group leader, 2010.
- Member of the Section of Orthopedics.