Matthew C. Smith
Assistant Professor, School of Freshwater Sciences
PhD, Microbiology, University of Tasmania, 2003
BSc w/Honors, Microbiology, University of Tasmania, 1997
BSc, University of Tasmania, 1996
- Automation of molecular biological methods and instrumentation development
- Developing in situ sensor technology for the detection of biological and chemical
targets in the marine environment
Recent and selected publications
- David Fries, Matthew Smith and Stan Ivanov (2010). Flex PCBMEMS for system size
miniaturization. IEEE-ICIT 2010 Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on
Industrial Technology. Viña del Mar, Chile 14th to 17th March 2010.
- Mark V. Brown, Gayle K. Philip, John A. Bunge, Matthew C. Smith, Andrew Bissett,
Federico M. Lauro, Jed A. Fuhrman and Stuart P. Donachie (2009). Microbial
community structure in the North Pacific Ocean. The ISME Journal 3: 1374-1386.
- Ashley Shade, Cayelan C. Carey, Emily Kara, Stefan Bertilsson, Katherine D. McMahon
and Matthew C. Smith (2009). Can the black box be cracked? The augmentation of
microbial ecology with high-resolution, automated sensing technologies. The ISME
Journal 3: 881–888.
- Matthew C. Smith and David P. Fries (2008). A field-able RNA extraction and
purification procedure. Journal of Rapid Methods and Automation in Microbiology