College Credits You Can Earn While in High School

Listed below are several ways for you to earn college credits while still in high school.

Youth Options at UWM The Youth Options Program allows 11th or 12th grade students in Wisconsin to attend institutions of higher education to obtain college credit while still in high school. If the school board approves attendance, the cost of your tuition, fees, and books is paid by the school district.

In addition to satisfying Youth Option program requirements, you must also apply to UWM and meet all admission requirements and application deadlines.

If you would like to enroll in the Youth Options program, you should first speak with your high school counselor for more information. You can also contact the Youth Options Program Coordinator at UWM by calling 414-229-2222.

Special Student Enrollment for High School StudentsUWM welcomes gifted and talented high school students who wish to obtain college credit prior to graduating from high school. If you wish to do this, you will apply to UWM as a non-degree "High School Special Student." To gain admission as a High School Special Student, you must satisfy specific admission requirements.

Advanced PlacementIf you completed an Advanced Placement (AP) class and you take AP examinations, or did take them when you were in high school, you may be able to receive college credit for a satisfactory AP test score. UWM will grant college credit for satisfactory scores if you enroll at UWM as a degree candidate and submit official score reports to:

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Department of Enrollment Services
P.O. Box 749
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0749

We will not accept scores printed on transcripts from other colleges and universities. We only accept the official Advanced Placement report.

International Baccalaureate (IB)The International Baccalaureate (IB) program gives students the ability to earn college credit while still in high school. College credit is awarded for scores 4-7. Students who receive the full IB diploma with a minimum score of 28 are eligible for 3 additional Letters and Science elective credits.

IB scores must be sent directly to Undergraduate Admissions from the IB Organization. For information on having your results sent, visit the IB website.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)Credits may be earned for some college level courses through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Recent high school graduates may benefit from these tests. The UWM Testing Center administers CLEP exams; please contact them at 414-229-4689 with more questions.

Retroactive Credit for Foreign LanguageIn order to receive retroactive credit for foreign language courses you've taken in high school, you must first complete the foreign language placement tests. The UWM Testing Center administers these exams. Then consult with your advisor about what foreign language course to take. You may have scored well enough on the foreign language placement test to place into an advanced level. After you complete that first foreign language class with a B or better, you could receive retroactive credit for the college classes below your placement level. In other words, you may be granted college credit for foreign language courses up through the first foreign language course that you completed at UWM. For more information, please ask your academic advisor.