New Freshmen - Common Questions

What is a completed application file?A completed application file consists of an application, an official high school transcript, your ACT or SAT scores and the $44 application processing fee. Upon submission of your materials, you will be mailed directions to access your PAWS (Panther Access to Web Services) account to check the status of your application.

Because you may submit your application for admission to UWM while you are still enrolled in high school, after you have graduated will also need to receive a final high school transcript with your final semester grades and graduation date posted.

Do I have to take the ACT or SAT?Yes, we need your ACT/SAT scores if you are under the age of 21 as of September 1st for the academic year in which you wish to enroll. Your ACT or SAT scores are information we use in determining your admission status.

There are also some situations when older students must provide an ACT or SAT score to help us determine admission. If you completed high school with a GED or were home schooled, your ACT or SAT is required, even if you are over age 21.

When will a decision be made on my application?Once an application file is complete, including application fee and all relevant documents, you may expect to receive a decision in approximately 3-4 weeks.

Can I defer admission or change the semester for which I would like to enroll?Yes. If you are changing your term of entry to UWM from one semester to another, complete the Term Change Request form.

How do I apply for on-campus housing?Campus housing usually fills up early at UWM; therefore, if you plan to reside on campus, it is important that you submit an early application. Students who wish to live in the UWM Residence Halls must indicate so on the admission application. The housing application process is simple: Answer "yes" to the housing question on the UWM Application for Admission, and you have applied for on-campus housing.

  • All students who answer "yes" to the question on the Application for Admission -- Do you plan on living on campus? -- will receive a letter acknowledging their housing application along with information about the contract process.
  • Student who answer "no" or leave it blank will not be eligible for on-campus housing.
How do I begin to look for an apartment in Milwaukee?Although many new students choose to stay in the Sandburg Residence Halls, you are not required to stay in them. You can begin your apartment search by visiting UWM's Off Campus Housing for information on available apartments, housing policies, and other UWM students seeking roommates.

What if I have financial aid questions?First, please visit FAFSA for information on applying for financial aid. Then if you have more specific questions, please contact UWM's Financial Aid Department at 414-229-4541 or finaid@uwm.edu

Do I have to take placement tests? What would happen if I did not take placement tests?Yes, all new incoming freshmen are required to take University of Wisconsin System placement tests so you will be placed in the appropriate level classes. If you do not take placement tests, you will not be invited to the Student Advising and Registration program (New Freshman Orientation). This means you would not be able to register for classes.