The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (“UWM”) strives to provide a safe and secure learning and working environment for everyone involved in university activities. Children come into contact with UWM employees through various programs, camps, and events. On Dec. 19, 2011, the Governor signed Executive Order #54, which requires that all University of Wisconsin System employees must report incidents of child abuse and neglect.
- All University of Wisconsin System (UWS) employees (this includes all UWM employees, regardless of appointment type or method of compensation) must immediately report child abuse or neglect if, in the course of employment, a UWS employee:
- Observes an incident or threat of child abuse or neglect, or
- Learns of an incident or threat of child abuse or neglect and has reasonable cause to believe that child abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur.
- Any suspected abuse (physical, sexual, emotional abuse, or the manufacture of methamphetamine) or neglect of any person under 18 years of age must be reported to local law enforcement or a county social services agency.
- Do not delay making a report in order to gather evidence; the agency to whom you make the report will determine whether such an investigation is warranted.
- It is acceptable to quickly collect additional information that is readily available (such as talking to coworkers who also interact with that child) or to verify that the information learned meets criteria for reporting, but this must be done very promptly.
- It is better to report without all relevant information than to delay a report to collect information.
- Contact local law enforcement or a county social services agency:
- Emergency: 9-911 from a campus phone, or 911 off campus
- UWM Police: (414) 229-4627 (non-emergency)
- Milwaukee Police: (414) 933-4444 (non-emergency)
- Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare: (414) 220-SAFE (7233)
UWM Child Abuse Brochure
Executive Order #54 Tutorial
Those that complete the training will receive an electronic certificate via email once the training has been completed.
For General Questions:
Office of Legal Affairs:
- Questions involving a legal interpretation should be directed to the Office of Legal Affairs: (414)229-4278.
To Report Abuse Connected with UWM:
- Contact your Dean, Director or Division Head (or) the Office of Equity and Diversity Services
What more should I know?
- You’re protected from liability if you make a report in good faith.
- If the abuse or neglect occurs in connection with a UWM activity or at UWM, you must also report it to a Dean, Director, or Division Head (though you may seek assistance from a supervisor).
- Training on the particulars will be made available soon (online for all employees, in-person upon request).