Panther Math Prep: Register Here
Panther Math Prep is done for Summer 2015, information about the Summer 2016 program is coming soon!
If you are an incoming first year student who received a Panther Math Prep invitation letter, you are eligible to attend this program. Click on the icon below to use our Cattrack scheduling system and sign up using your ePanther ID and password for either the on campus or online program.
Panther Math Prep Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Panther Math Prep?
Panther Math Prep is a summer program designed to help incoming first year students retake the placement test and place into a higher level math course. Students review the material either on campus or online and retake the placement test. The better of the two placement test results will be used for placement into the student’s fall math course. Panther Math Prep is NOT a required course. It is offered as a service to help our students place into a higher level math course.
Why participate in Panther Math Prep?
If the results of your original placement test placed you in a non-credit math course, you will be required to take one or two extra math courses which will not count as credit towards your college graduation. If you can pass into a college credit mathematics course, you will earn college credit immediately, be able to take other courses earlier that require college algebra, and progress faster towards graduation. You will also save tuition costs of a 3-credit course.
When is Panther Math Prep?
The On-Campus Panther Math Prep option is held on:
- July 6th - July 29th, 2015 (Mon/Wed) from 9am-Noon.
- July 7th - July 30th, 2015 (Tue/Thurs) from 9am-Noon.
The Online Panther Math Prep option is held on:
- June 29th - July 30th, 2015 (computer based).
- July 6th - August 6th, 2015 (online modules).
How does the program work?
Panther Math Prep is offered with two options: on-campus classroom sessions or an online option.
- Students use a computer-based program to review mathematics. The instructor helps the students master math concepts, prepare for the structure of the exam, and improve their test taking skills. Students either attend on Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays from 9am-noon. Students complete the program through an online computer-based system called ALEKS. This is a great opportunity to get to know the campus and an instructor prior to your arrival. Space is limited to 36 students per class. The registration deadline is June 26th, 2015. The retest date is July 31st.
Online option is offered at two different start dates with different online approaches:
- Option 1: June 29th - July 30th, 2015. Students who register for the online portion can complete the course through and online computer-based system called ALEKS. The instructor will monitor coursework and communicate weekly with the students. Tutors will provide online assistance. The registration deadline is June 26th, 2015. Retest date is July 31st.
- Option 2: July 6th-August 6th, 2015. In this option, students will get access to teacher-led online modules with practice problems in an online format. Students will complete two modules per week.Tutors will work with students online. The registration deadline is July, 1st, 2015. The retest date is August 7th.
How much does Panther Math Prep cost?
The cost is $25 for each student which will cover the cost for the Panther Math Prep online computer program, teaching, and tutoring. The fee will be posted on the student’ s UWM PAWS account and due at the beginning of the Fall semester. There is no charge to retake the math placement test at UW-Milwaukee
Who can I contact if I have questions?
Contact the Panther Academic Support Services main office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 414-229-3726.
What if I just want to sign up to take the test again and choose not take Panther Math Prep program? What if I have questions about calculators or other locations?
Please contact the Testing Center, DESTEST@uwm.edu (or 414-229-2210) if you have questions about your retest options or need accommodations. Directions on how to register for the retest for Panther Math Prep participants will be provided at the orientation session.
Can I get tutoring assistance while in the program?
Yes, we recommend you participate in our tutoring services.Our PASS tutors are available in the Library First Floor East wing or online throughout the duration of the program.Details will be available at your orientation session. Summer tutor information is at www.pass.uwm.edu.
How can I prepare on my own?
If you are unable to be involved in the Panther Math Prep program, we highly recommend that you review the arithmetic, algebra, and geometry you studied in high school before retaking the math placement test. Listed below are some good review options:
- Practice Problems: https://www4.uwm.edu/Org/mmp/_activities/transition.html
- Look at materials designed for the mathematics portion of the ACT. There are often books at your school or local library. You can also go online to: http://www.actstudent.org/testprep/index.html
- Shortly before you retake the placement exam, access the following websites for sample tests and review activities: http://www.uwm.edu/%7Eericskey/EMPT/EMPT.html and http://www4.uwm.edu/Org/mmp/_activities/transition.html
- The UWM Bookstore sells and ships the Math Placement Review Study Guide(revised) by G. Andries it can be found by clicking here.
- Make use of free review products such as http://number2.com
- Look at “Helpful Study Strategies” at http://www4.uwm.edu/pass/study-strategy-links.cfm